Thursday, September 30, 2010

Day Trippin'

On the weekend just gone I thought that I would do the right thing by my husband and take the kids out for the day.  That way he was able to watch the AFL grand final in peace (as it turned out Collingwood and St Kilda drew).  First stop was the Big Pineapple. 

The kids had a great time feeding the animals, patting native animals and taking the train ride.
As our visit to the Big Pineapple drew to a close I found myself constantly pulling them up and telling them off.  I know that it is getting really bad when I get sick of hearing my voice constantly barking out instructions.  I ask you, how hard is it for 3 children to stand still so that I can take a photo of them in front of an iconic Queensland tourist attraction?
So I launch into my well practiced routine.  I have performed it many times.  I explain how it is meant to be a fun day for all of us.  That I have made the effort to take them out and about.  Why is it so hard for you to make an effort I implore.  Is this really fair on me?  (you get the idea)  Bellow is the photo that I took after they promised that they would be on their best behaviour.
Next stop, Bellingham maze.  It is a hedge maze and the trick is to find your way to the middle.
I had been here before with son number 1, as daughter number 1 pointed out.  She didn't want him to give away any surprises.  She wanted to lead the way.  Son number 2 wanted to go his own separate way.  I wanted everyone to stick together.  I explained how difficult it was to find the centre, let alone a lost child.  Everything was going relatively smoothly until we sat down at the cafe.  Daughter number 1 stood over son number 1 until he moved so that she could play with the puzzle he had chosen.  Son number 1 then went over to son number 2 and took from him the puzzle he had been working on.  I stood up and walked away.  Needless to say I launched into another monolog full of retorical questions designed to elicit guilt.

In a last ditched effort to find something to do to keep them out of the house longer I drove to Caloundra.  By luck we found a section of beach that had a sheltered spot for swimming.  Everyone had a lovely time and I was reminded of the reasons why I love spending time with my children.

2 comments:

  1. I hear your frustration at kids bickering, and raise you a tantrum or two. I guess we all have these moments, it's good to hear about other parents struggling with them. I find myself frustrated at what my kids have turned me in to! If you know what I mean... though then you get to that calm ocean and remember all the good stuff. Hang in there!!! Jem and the boys went to a local sports bar at 7am to watch the grand final... and then the next weekend as well! I couldn't partake the second time around because I was at a conference in Bilbao, Spain. Oh, poor me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention - I love the big pineapple - in fact any "big thing" on the roadside entertainment circuit (do you remember "the big worm" on the way down to phillip island?). I read in the news yesterday that they've sold the big pineapple and closed for reconstruction! Let's hope they follow through with that promise... I keep wondering how they could made the oversized fibreglass fruit any better...

    ReplyDelete